Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The last couple of years every spring the birds come back in full force, and it is always one of my favorite aspects of this time of year...however, it has become the habit of a certain pair of Starlings to nest right above my back door. Now, I happen to be an animal lover of the highest degree (cats notwithstanding), heck I can't even bring myself to trap the mice that occasionally vacation during the winter in my kitchen, despite their complete disregard for personal hygiene. And these starlings, doing their best to refurbish the nest they left behind last year, always leave a pile of their favorite nesting material on my little porch, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't use the kitchen window next to the door as their bathroom...and I have to admit, the urge to evict them runs strong whenever I come home to fresh droppings. As intelligent as birds are, why have they refused to evolve to the point of building their own outhouse?!?! I mean, here I am, the kind of person who laments human indifference to the animal world we keep building upon, shoving them aside without the slightest thought of the impact we have towards those we share this world with...but it does irk me so, I have to say, when I find a squirrel ransacking the bird feeder I've just filled up, or the deer who callously feed on my neighbors veggie garden. Can't we just show some mutual respect and dignity??
Of course, I'll never keep the damn starlings from their yearly habit of turning my back door into the ghetto, despite their predilection for tipping other birds eggs out of their nest and installing their own eggs, so the other birds will hatch a baby starling instead of their own! The odd thought has come to me, thinking these effin starlings remind me of the human race, and that is when I really battle putting up a board to prevent them from nesting at my house...I think the lesson here for me is to channel my inner buddha nature and accept the ebb and flow of life and all that live in it. Obviously this hasn't quite reached second nature status in me. Oh, the work I have to do...............
In a related note, I just started reading a book called A Path With Heart. The title comes from Don Juan speaking to Carlos Castaneda, and he simply said; When choosing a path, take your time. Investigate each one thoroughly. And then ask yourself this, Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good. If it does not, it is of no use.
The power of this observation hit me squarely between the eyes. The summation is so clear, so unequivocal, it was like trying to look away from the fullest of moons on a crisp fall night. And I hope my memory safely stores this one away forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment